Dairy Farming Using EM
An integrated programme using EM on dairy farms has the potential to give significant improvements of environmental indicators. Research both from overseas and NZ comparing EM in various applications related to dairying, and some related research on some of the individual micro-organisms that are contained in EM, demonstrate significant benefits in mitigating some of the negative impacts on the environment.
The areas that we can influence positively with EM are:
- Reduction of fertiliser inputs whilst maintaining production levels of pasture
- Increase in clover production
- Reduction of odour in effluent ponds and an increase in micobial activity
- Reduction of nitrogen leaching and volatilisation
- Reduction of methane and greenhouse gas emissions from the environment including animals
Key applications for Dairy farming
- On pastures, apply 20 litres EM Soil & Crop (activated) per ha with as much water as possible, target key periods such as early spring, and mid summer through to autumn to combat fungal toxin periods, ie facial excema, and dead material accumulation.
- Combine with fertilizer applications to increase efficacy of applications (10-20 litres EM Soil & Crop (activated) /ha).
- Using EM Ready to Use* in the washdown water will inoculate the effluent pond, improving pond function, reducing pond maintenaince (no crusting), and will generate a microbial liquid fertilizer, that will vastly improve those pasture areas that are irrigated with this fertiliser. This technique is an excellent way to use EM on your dairy farm.
- Spray animal enclosures with 10% solution of EM Ready to Use* with water to control odours, to improve sanitation of bedding and housing. e.g. calves, pigs, hens
- Apply as an innoculant when making silage or baleage
With the addition of EM to the pasture we can expect an increase in yield (Daly & Stewart). This paper published in a refereed international journal showed that EM increased the yield of crops, and by assumption an increase grass growth could be expected with application of EM.
When EM is combined with a half rate of fertiliser, the production is similar to a full rate of fertiliser on its own. The EM contains phosphate solubilizing bacteria (PSB) this will mobilise P and enhance the breakdown of rock phosphate. The Photosynthetic bacteria have a denitrifying characteristic (Rhodopsuedomonas sp.) so this is likely to lead to less Nitrogen being leached and lost in a pastoral system using EM.
The unique mix of micro-organisms in EM will have a major improvement in pond maintenance with the surface crusting broken down and lowering harmful bacterial in ponds. For dairy farms that return their effluent to the pasture, then this is an excellent opportunity to get a double benefit from the EM, by;
The effluent becomes a carrier and a food source for the microbes and the target is the pasture and soil.
The EM will reduce the number of pathogenic microbes (E.coli, etc) in the effluent and make the pasture safer for animals grazing the pasture and staff applying the effluent.
Also see "Methane Reduction in Effluent Using EM"
Trials have shown that adding EM to cattle slurry, pig slurry, and pig feed will reduce the levels of greenhouse gas emissions.
Also for a more detailed point of view on potential benefits of EM use on dairy farms see here
A test was done on the height of barley when using regular control versus control mixed with EM
Cost of EM
EM applied at 20 litres per ha costs from $20 per ha. I would anticipate that around 100litres per ha per year would be optimum (5*20) that would cost $100 per ha if you expanded EM1 or $210 if you purchased the product Ready to Use. There would be further applications to effluent pond, and possible silage or feed. These costs would have to be calculated after the system is assessed. However the overall cost is not likely to be high relative to the positive gains.
Please note: EM Ready to Use can be made on farm using EM Soil & Crop. Please contact us for details.
EM1 Concentrate is a natural, safe technology with many applications around the Garden, Farm, Vineyard and Environment. A certified organic input, EM1 Concentrate can be expanded by the user to increase the product volume 20 fold, making it a low cost microbial input.
Save today by buy this handy trio of EM1, molasses, plus a hose-end sprayer for quick application over your garden, lawn or compost as a set. Just add EM1 plus molasses into your dispenser, and then clip onto your hose, set the dial to achieve dilutions of 1:100 or 1:1000....or your choice of dilution
EM1 Garden is the perfect product to create a vibrant and diverse garden environment. With a huge array of applications EM1 Garden can help solve many problems in the garden, including pest and disease control and also improve soil fertility and plant health.
20 litres of quality molasses,to help the activation and expansion of EM
EM® Soil and Crop is a certified organic technology with many applications around farm, orchard, and vineyard environments. This ready to use product works by stimulating soil biology to enhance soil performance and plant production.
EM Environment is a Ready to Use product which is a natural, safe technology with many applications around waste processing, odour, septic systems, compost and water quality. A certified organic product, EM Environment, works by getting the natural processes to function, the way nature intended. This includes breaking down odour, orgaic matter and sludge, balancing the microbial environment and improving composting activity