Intensive Fresh Vegetable Production
The applications of EM Soil & Crop in intensive fresh vegetable production are centered around improving your biggest asset, your soil. So the aim is to get your biological activity working at a high level. That means effective organic matter recycling, through crop residue incorporation and compost applications.
This organic matter recycling builds humus, the food for your soil and plants, will give improvements in nitrogen fixation, greater micorrhyzal activity, leading to more effective nutrient availability. Fresh vegetable crops have high nutrient requirement and are sensitive to soil physical conditions. EM Soil & Crop in combination with generous applications of organic matter, either by composting or green manuring will promote this type of soil. In addition, these crops are generally high value, and come under periods of disease and pest pressures during the growing phase. During these periods EM Soil & Crop is targeted as a foliar application to crops, this has two main functions, firstly it creates better growing conditions and this leads to a stronger healthier plant. Secondly it provides competitive exclusion, which means that it out-competes pathogens for space, by inoculating the leaf surfaces with beneficial microbes.
Therefore the target for EM is your soils, particularly during periods of organic matter incorporation (compost, green manure). And secondly, as a foliar application to keep optimal health on the plant leaf areas.
EM can be applied directly with a sprayer or injected through an irrigator.
Key applications for Fresh Vegetable Production
- Make compost using EM Soill & Crop (activated) - 3 litres EM Soil & Crop (activated)/cubic metre
- Apply EM Soil & Crop (activated) to crop residues and green manure at the incorporation stage , apply 20 litres EM-A per ha with as much water as needed to get good coverage.
- Apply EM Soil & Crop (activated) at primary cultivation stages, to inoculate crop residues, and induce weed strikes.
- Apply EM Soil & Crop (activated) as a seed soak (1:1000) or incorporate into seed coating slurry
- Apply EM Soil & Crop (activated) through the critical growth stages, to maintain optimal plant growth, crops can be treated frequently during the season (10-14 day interval) with an accumulative effect apparent.
- Fermented plant extract (FPE) similar to a fresh herb tea, can be made and is used during periods of high disease pressure.
- EM5 is another preparation made using EM, vinegar and alcohol, and is useful as a insect repellent.
- Both FPE and EM-5 need to be applied before the disease or pest becomes established. These formulations work more on creating an environment that is not conducive for disease and pest establishment, rather than directly as a control agent.
- Combine with fertilizer applications to increase efficacy of applications (10-20 litres EM Soil & Crop (activated)/ha)
- Crops treated with EM Soil & Crop during the ripening phase will have greater storage capacity, and reduced problems, such as rots etc.
To read a publication on research data showing the effect of EM on vegetable production & carbon mineralization click here
Low Cost EMNZ Use
For large scale use we recommend using our EM Soil and Crop product. This is our expanded ready to use product and is the most cost effective way to use EM. It can cost as low as $2 per litre depending on volume purchased (please contact us for volumes in excess of 200 litres). We recommend using 15-20L per hectare when using EM by itself or 5-10L per hectare when used in conjunction with other nutrients.
Please contact us for more information on how to make EM as cost effective as possible.
EM1 Concentrate is a natural, safe technology with many applications around the Garden, Farm, Vineyard and Environment. A certified organic input, EM1 Concentrate can be expanded by the user to increase the product volume 20 fold, making it a low cost microbial input.
20 litres of quality molasses,to help the activation and expansion of EM
300 Watt Heater, German quality suitable for heating up to 200 litres
EM® Soil and Crop is a certified organic technology with many applications around farm, orchard, and vineyard environments. This ready to use product works by stimulating soil biology to enhance soil performance and plant production.
EM Environment is a Ready to Use product which is a natural, safe technology with many applications around waste processing, odour, septic systems, compost and water quality. A certified organic product, EM Environment, works by getting the natural processes to function, the way nature intended. This includes breaking down odour, orgaic matter and sludge, balancing the microbial environment and improving composting activity