- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
EM1 Concentrate is the original and authentic Effective Microorganisms that was originally formulated by Dr. Teruo Higa. EM1 is an all-natural probiotic for plants and soils. EM1 Concentrate is a natural, safe technology with many applications around the Garden, Farm, Vineyard and Environment. A certified organic input, EM1 Concentrate can be expanded by the user to increase the product volume 20 fold, making it a low cost microbial input.
The combination of microbes in EM, have a reviving action on an ecosystem and are completely safe to use. In the soil EM will function by increasing the beneficial microbes which will improve soil health and function. EM will also improve fertiliser effectiveness by reducing leaching and improving plant availability leading to increased performance in your farming system. In a waste management system EM will control odours and breakdown organic matter in the form of sludge and inorganic deposits to revive the function of a waste system. For more information on the many applications of EM visit our industries page - http://www.emnz.com/industries/. EM1 Concentrate can also be combined with other products such as liquid fertiliser products, and other microbial food sources to enhance the EM effect (please contact EMNZ for further details).
Contains EM (Effective Microorganisms) Proprietary blend of GRAS registered micro-organisms
How to use
EM1 Concentrate should be enhanced and expanded by a secondary process using equal parts of molasses and water. This process will expand EM1 20 times making it very cost effective. Please visit our expanding page for further details. To purchase our Ready to Use products (pre-expanded EM) visit the EM Ready to Use products range.
When to apply
- Apply at important plant growth stages
- Apply with fertiliser to enhance effectiveness
- Apply when incorporating crop residues and composting waste
- Apply to effluent and waste water for odour control and effective treatment
How to use
- EM1 Concentrate can be used as supplied, or can be expanded before use (see Preparation)
- Soil and Plant Treatment: Apply from 5-20 Litres per ha diluted with water
- Garden Treatment: Use at 1% with water as a foliar or soil application
- Compost Treatment: Apply 2-3 Litres per cubic metre
- Water Treatment: Add EM at between 1/1000 and 1/10000 of water volume
Price is for a 20L we also sell EM1 Concentrate in 200L and 1000L containers. Please contact email@example.com for pricing on large volumes.
How long does shipping take?
It can vary depending on your location but as a general rule we expect it to take 1-2 days for the South Island, 2-3 days for the North Island and generally an extra day for rural delivery.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for delivery costs on large volumes.
Murray Weaver, Sheep and Beef Farmer
“I am getting a lot more clover growth than I used to get in my pastures. EM has helped breakdown residues in the soil quickly and made healthier pastures on my farm.”
What is EM?
Effective microorganisms or EM are mixed cultures of beneficial microorganisms that can be applied as inoculants to increase the microbial diversity of soils and plants which, in turn, can improve soil health, and the growth, yield, and quality of crops.
How does EM actually work?
There is documented scientific evidence to indicate that EM cultures can
(a) suppress soil-borne pathogens,
(b) accelerate the decomposition of organic wastes and residues,
(c) increase the availability of mineral nutrients and useful organic compounds to plants,
(d) enhance the activities of beneficial, indigenous microorganisms, e.g., mycorrhizae,
(e) fix atmospheric nitrogen, and
(f) reduce the need for chemical fertilisers and pesticides.
Actually, EM tends to simulate the "rotation effect," a term used by agronomists to describe the regeneration of beneficial soil microorganisms and suppression of harmful ones which results from crop rotation.
Is EM an organic product?
Yes, EM is certified organic by BioGrow NZ and can be used in all types of organic systems.
What can EM be used for?
EM has a huge range of uses around the home, garden, farm, business, or industrial zone. Today EM is used in many systems pertaining to agriculture and environmental management. These range from crop and animal production systems, to livestock and aquaculture units. EM is used widely in environmental management for decomposition and more importantly for recycling of wastes, both solids and liquids.
The application and use of EM technology in NZ is wide and varied:
- From crops like peas, wheat, linseed to onions, potatoes, carrots and beans.
- From sheep, cows and deer, to pigs and chickens
- From wine grapes and olives to saffron and lavender
- From recycling food waste in restaurants and schools back to gardens
- From household food waste to larger office blocks and Universities collecting lunchtime food waste.
- From small composting toilets in holiday homes to large composting toilets in mountain chalets for trampers and mountaineers.
- From controlling odours at commercial and large municipal composting sites to controlling odours and improving water quality at vineyards treating their own wastewater.
Whilst initially the use of EM was confined to Agriculture, in recent times the growth sector has been vineyards and waste management. Visit the industries section of this website to find out more about EM's uses.