The Edible Backyard author Kath Irvine has uprooted and hit the road in a 12 metre long house truck. In this audio interview she's got some some tips on how...
EM™ for Garden
A healthy soil grows healthy plants and flowers. It sounds simple but many gardeners struggle to get the balance right. Common issues include infertile, clay, contaminated and compacted soils, EM can significantly improve all of these issues and create a healthy fertility environment for growth. Healthy soils require diverse microbial activity to break down organic matter and fertiliser inputs to promote a healthy environment for plants. The result is strong plants, healthier flowers, greater resistance to diseases and pests, and higher quality fruits and vegetables and also less fertiliser use.
Benefits of Using EM™ in your Garden
- Improving root structures
- Enhancing fertiliser inputs
- Improving organic matter breakdown
- Speeding up composting processes
- Increasing soil fertility
- Improved yields and flower bloom
- Increased disease and pest resistance
- Reduced odours
Root Structure Comparison, With and Without EM™ Use
The above image is a comparison of mixed pasture showing the root structure of a crop treated with EM™ versus one that wasn't treated.
EM™ for an amazing garden - Client Testimonial video
Shop the range
Using your EM™
EM™ is a certified organic, microbial inoculant that provides a broad spectrum of microorganisms, enzymes, vitamins, and various organic acids which are all essential components for healthy soils and plants. They will support the growth of other important components including mycchorrizae, earth worms, and insects already in your soil.
When you receive EM™ from your distributor, it is the base solution of EM™, called EM1 Garden. This can be used as it is without any further preparation, although adding equal parts of molasses or raw sugar to the solution of EM Garden and water will enhance activity by providing a food source for the EM™ in their new home - your garden.
Application rates and techniques
- Add EM Garden to your watering can at 1:1000, and then thoroughly wet the soil and plants with this solution. Apply frequently during the growing season - 1-2 applications weekly.
- This technique can be used for applying to lawns, and when preparing your soil for planting, when digging in green manures and before laying down mulches. Get those friendly microbes activating this organic matter, which is food for these great little guys!
- For foliar spraying, mix up a 1:100 dilution of EM to water.
- Spray all plants, and trees with this solution. This is a great technique when, the plants or trees require a boost and may be coming under stress with disease or pest pressure. If you make herbal or weed teas then add EM at 1 to 5% of the liquid volume, this makes a very nice fermented plant extract (FPE), and controls any odor issues. The tea is great for applying to plants as disease prevention. Use regularly over the disease pressure period, dilute to 1% with water.
- Apply to pot plants or planters either as describe above with watering can at 1:1000 dilution or sprayer 1:100 dilution.
- EM Garden will promote flowering and fruiting and will produce healthy plants and produce.
- Add EM Garden to compost at 3 litres per cubic metre. Or to your existing compost heap spray with
- EM to control flies and smell, and just to activate the composting process.
- Apply EM to your septic tank at 1:1000 (1 litre of EM to 1000 litres of effluent). Give a dose at cleanout of tank, then does weekly or monthly depending on the system.
- EM is to your soil, as yoghurt is to your digestive system...... Regular dosing is recommended!
Articles & Insights
What we wanted to achieve in this case study was to show the effectiveness of EM Foundation and EM Plant Stimulant at improving root density compared to a control.
EM Amino is a full spectrum L-Amino acid that is plant derived making it highly available to all agricultural crops. Its unique combination includes a range of beneficial biology, trace...